Monday, March 2, 2009

5 Questions with Aritz Aranburu


Coming off an injury plagued rookie year on tour, Aritz Aranburu is hoping learn from his mistakes and climb up the rankings this year. 

Hailing from Spain, Aritz joins Jeremy Flores, Tim Boal, and Mikael Picon from France, Tiago Pires  from Portugal, and Marlon Lipke from Germany as part of the largest European contigent ever on tour.  

I sat down with Aritz to ask him about his life on tour...

What is your favorite wave in Europe?
Mundaka for sure.  It's where I have my best moments when I'm free surfing.  I hope we have good waves there this year on tour.

Who do you think is surfing the best out of the Europeans?
Jeremy is surfing strong, he did really well in the first round.  I think everyone is in good form, you just have to wait for good waves and I think anyone can show their best time.

What do you do with the down time on tour?
You know, I think it is really import to connect when you are surfing, but it is also just as important to disconnect.  When the contest is finished you try to learn from the mistakes you made, and don't make them again. After that I like to spend time with friends, go to the cinema, listen to music, or read a book.

What is your favorite event on the tour?
I really like the events at Teahupoo and Pipeline.  The feeling is so different out there where you can surf big waves, it's really special and dangerous.  You respect the wave.  

Is there an element of fear when you surf these waves?
Yah, there is always the fear.  You can get seriously injured, or die you know.  But when you have a heat you always go 110 percent.   You push yourself a lot more than in normal situations.

What is your goal on tour this year?
I know that on the WCT, you need a lot of experience for this tour.  I want to keep learning from the guys that have been there the longest.  And, just try to stay on the tour and claim some positions. 







No comments:

Post a Comment