Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Designs To Free Your Mind



I recently read an article in the current 'Surfing World' about legendary shaper Geoff McCoy. Intrigued by his design theory, I sent him an email inquiring about the possibility of making me a board.  

The culmination of his 40-plus years shaping surfboards for some of the world's greatest surfers has resulted in the creation of his "Nugget" - a unique and inspiring idea in surfboard design at a time of mass production and fashion statement surfboards in the mainstream.  

He doesn't advertise and he doesn't market.  He is too deeply focused on the vision and creation of his own and completely original design concept.  

After briefly talking with Geoff, he sent me to a small shop in Manly Beach where I could talk further with a good friend and fellow shaper.  

For the first time in my life, I had an intelligent and meaningful discussion with a shaper.  I listened to Geoff's design theory, asked questions when I didn't understand and tried to visualize the concepts that were being described.  

The result?  I left with a hand-shaped surfboard like nothing I'd ever seen.  It was made by the hands of possibly the world's greatest shaper.  In the process, I planted seeds for a working relationship with a shaper whose motto is 'Designs To Free Your Mind'.  

My reaction? Excited doesn't even come close.  I'll soon find out if I'm the victim of a skilled salesman, or the benefactor of a gifted craftsman.  





6 comments:

  1. Ni hao! Great post, CJ. I can't for a followup blog to hear how your new board rides...fixing to go meet Adam here in Shanghai! Hooray! Wish you were here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the rounded rear end -- I think in aerodynamics, that shape in the back (contrary to intuition) has less drag which should mean more speed...

    Great photos and story line, as usual Chris! Mom's with Jenny in Denver for a conference this week -- they got 12+ inches of fresh snow today! Jenny will be in Orlando next week... N2XF will be flying again this weekend!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sequence rips your really shredding...kook! Looks like your having a blast. Wish I was sit'n shot gun with your ass, we'd probably end up in some Skippy jail or something. The stories and pics are great man, keep crafting that talent and the tarp shots coming!

    Hope to catch up with ya soon homie.

    JIM

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi cj, i been reading abit about the nuggets, i use to have a lazer zap in the 80s. what size is yours? had any good waves on it yet? looking forward to a go on it, 2-4 and glass here this morn, im out there....chris v

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a board in the '70's called a "hooker" OK--don't even go there! but it was thick and wide all the way back--perverts (Jim H. , Justin C.)try to focus!-anyway I loved that board and want to know how that new board of yours is because although I've given up on finding another hooker I wouldn't mind trying a similar shaped board to see if I can capture some of that retro glory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been testing the nugget in all sorts of various conditions the last 4 weeks. It is a magic board, and really does what geoff said it would, but you have to surf more off your back foot. Incredibly fast, hangs back deep in the barrel, and you can really put it on rail. I think you would dig it jerry, and I know you would chris. Doesn't like flat waves, it isn't a fish and doesn't glide like a long board. It catches mad waves and goes rail to rail insane.

    ReplyDelete